Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sunday Summary

Here it is Sunday night and I have a few items to report. 

Sally and I went to the NYS Fair in Syracuse this morning. I was scheduled to demonstrate spinning in the Wool Center from 10 AM-2 PM. I was joined by 5 other spinners, all members of the Baldwinsville Spinning Guild and all very pleasant. Being a spinner at the fair was similar to being an animal in a cage at the zoo.
We spinners were all sitting behind a low white fence and people would come into the Wool Center and stop to watch us and maybe take a photo. Parents would bend down to quietly explain to their children what we were doing. Some people asked questions and others told us about their attempts to spin. The Wool Center was right across from the sheep barn so we could hear the sheep baaing in the background and children were better able to make the connection between the fleece that they saw on the sheep and what we were spinning. It was a good experience and I would do it again next year. Sally toured the fair while I was spinning and when my spinning time was up, we went around together so I could see some of the sights. Unfortunately, my tolerance for large, slow moving crowds is about zero, and shortly after we started touring, I was ready to leave. Thank goodness Sally had time to see the fair without me, because I was not into dealing with the mass of humanity. I did manage to tour the cow barn and Dairy Building where the butter sculpture is housed.

Hopefully Sally is glad she went~if not, I guess she won't volunteer to go with me next year!

Jim had a great time at his Men's Weekend at a friend's camp on the water at the eastern end of Lake Ontario (not officially part of the Thousand Islands, as previously reported). He had some success with the fishing and I give you this photo of a 5.5 lb. pike he caught on Saturday. Jim also reports that he was put in charge of grilling the steak and vegetables on Saturday night. Is there anything more manly that being the Grillmeister on a Men's Weekend?!

Jim stopped at Corey's apartment on Friday night and provides us with this photo of the new ping pong table in his 3rd floor apartment!

Here is a photo of me modeling my new hat to wear to the RIT hockey games. I just love it and have already started another one only this one is in SU colors, blue and orange. 


Tucker sent us a photo of him in Mesa Verde NP at a ruin that is not open to the general public. Fortunately Tucker has a friend who works there and the friend was able to take Tucker to this site.
 

Yesterday I put up another peck of peaches. These are going to be so tasty in the middle of the winter!

Did anyone watch the PBS preview of the National Park series by  Ken Burns last week? The series starts later in September and looks like it is going to be great. Check your local listings, you won't want to miss it! Of course, the shows may be on during one of PBS's pledge drives, but that is money well-spent.

Tomorrow is my last official day of summer vacation. I have teacher days at school on Tuesday and Wednesday. But I have no complaints about the past 8 weeks~ I have some wonderful memories. If you wonder what we did this past summer, just look back through my blog.

Hope all is well.






No comments: