Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This and That

It's been a busy couple of days around here. When we got back from our April trip to Maryland a Jury Summons was awaiting me. Oh, joy! So, as instructed, I phoned  the Hall of Justice to discover that my number did not need to report on Monday morning, but rather I needed to call at 12:45 PM on Monday to possibly report Monday afternoon. When I called, sure enough I needed to be at the Hall of Justice, downtown, in one hour. Fortunately, my student teacher was still at school so I just let the office staff know that they would need to assign a Teaching Assistant to be in the gym with her. Off I went.

I ended up being one of about 75 jurors called into a courtroom for possible seating on a jury for a criminal trial. I was the first one called in the initial group of 21 that was interviewed. After an hour and a half of "interviewing" the 21 of us, the 2 lawyers selected 6 of the 21, and I was not one of them. One of the charges against the defendant was robbery and when the judge asked us if anyone had been the victim of a crime, I had to raise my hand. I was then questioned about the details of our house robbery which occurred 2 years ago. I'm sure I was released because of my experience with being robbed. That was fine with me because the trial was expected to go all week and I had things going on this week at school that I didn't want to miss. So, my civic duty has been fulfilled for 4 or 5 years.

The whole time I was at the Hall of Justice, I had a headache that just kept getting worse. By the time I got home, I was pretty miserable. So miserable that I had to force myself to eat some dinner. After dinner I got into my Lazy Boy, put it in the full, reclining position and slept for awhile. I started to feel better by the time I went to bed and today I feel normal again. Who knows what that was all about!

Tonight I had a great row on the river. It was a perfect temperature,with no wind. We rowed downstream towards the city. We spun the boat around just before the 490 bridge and the late day sun on the downtown buildings and bridges was beautiful.

Tomorrow is my student teacher's last day. She was a great student teacher and I hope she finds a job real soon. I am looking forward to getting my "kids" back, though. 

The work in our yard has resumed, this time it is landscaping work. A good deal of fill dirt has been brought in to level out the area where the storm sewer was installed. I imagine the town will be around in the near future to spray some grass seed.

Corey and Jim dined alfresco on our new patio set. They report that it was a true fine dining experience. Photos another time.

Hope all is well. 

No comments: