Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. I am very blessed to be able to celebrate this day with both my Mom and my Mother-in-law and one of my two children. It has been a good day. Corey cooked us all delicious dinner of featuring lemon salmon that he cooked on the grill. Jim cleaned up so my kitchen time was minimal.
It has been nice to be home this weekend with nothing really pressing on the calendar. Friday night Jim and I went out to Corey's office, Lock 32, for the season opening of this whitewater park. They were providing free hot dogs and hamburgers, so we had our dinner there and walked around watching some of the paddlers play in the waves.
 
On Saturday I was up early so made a trip to the Public Market. Green beans, peppers, cucumbers, apples, cheese and flowers were some of my purchases. It was a great morning to be at the market-lots of plants and flowers for sale in addition to all the fruits and vegetables. 

While Jim was participating in a highway clean-up I went for a bike ride. I was testing out a new bike seat and a new pair of biking shorts. Both worked well, thank goodness! I rode 46 miles, enjoying the apple blossoms in the orchards and the lilacs that made this a very fragrant ride. I was pretty tired when I got home, but mostly because I never took any long rest stops and did not eat enough during the ride. But after a quick lunch and a bit of a rest, I was good to go for the rest of the afternoon. 

Last night Jim participated in the Pub Run, a fundraiser in memory of runner Charlie McMullen for the American Cancer Society. I didn't go this year because I took that long bike ride in the morning.

Today we 3 went to church and had a leisurly afternoon. Jim and I bought a patio set at Wegmans. We tried to buy a set last summer, but got started too late so postponed the purchase until this summer. I'll post a photo as soon as Jim performs the "some assembly required."

In addition to both set of grandparents being here for dinner, Bob and Sally stopped over so Bob could confer with Corey on some work that Corey is doing for Bob. Corey is editing some video that Bob has from his Tibet trip and putting together a DVD from the edited video. At least that is what I think they are doing. I could be wrong-I haven't paid a lot of attention to what they are doing. Hopefully it is all legal!

Tucker called twice this weekend and, as usual, it was good to talk to him. Tucker said that my Mother's Day card was in the mail and that it would be late because he and his colleagues were doing field work out in the middle of Nowhere, UT, when they all realized that Sunday was Mother's Day and none of them had a card yet. The small town that they are working out of does not have a Hallmark store, or anything else for that matter!

Jim gave me a book called On Food and Cooking The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. It is an interesting book about the make up of various foods we eat and why they cook up the way they do. It looks like it will be fairly easy reading as there are small sections to read in a few minutes time. If you like to cook or eat, check out this book. The author, Harold McGee, is one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people.  

I got a jury summons for this upcoming week and had to call in last Friday night to see if I needed to report tomorrow morning. The good news is that I don't have to report, but the maybe bad news is that I have to call again at 12:45 PM tomorrow, to possibly report tomorrow afternoon. Can you believe that you are not allowed to take knitting needles into the jury waiting area? There can be a lot of waiting when you first report for jury duty and that would be great knitting time. 

I spent the last 4 days knitting pretty dish cloths for Gram and Grandma. I really like this pattern and will have to make one for me. Knitting with cotton yarn is really hard on the hands because there is no "give" to the yarn, so I will have to give my  hands a cotton break before I try another one. 

Time to go to bed. 

Hope all is well. 

No comments: