Sunday, February 17, 2008

San Diego Day 2

Another beautiful morning, although I did sleep better, not getting up until 6:45 AM. 

The running update: Jim ran a little better than he thought he might considering his sore heel prevented him from training the way he normally would for this race. He took 6th in his age-group and his 50-year old team took 3rd in that age-group, thereby earning each of the team members a medal. Corey had a bad day, and as you might imagine was quite disappointed. Although he disagrees, I think the fact that he has been sick for most of the past 2 weeks (cold, sore throat) weakened his body so he was not as physically ready as if he's been healthy. Oh, well, that's how it goes in the running world. Corey was not the only runner yesterday who who came away with a less desirable time. But, hey, we were in San Diego and the sun was shining and it was 60 plus degrees!
It was a perfect day for running and working on your tan. As a matter of fact my face is a bit pink this morning from yesterday's sun. I'll put the sunscreen on earlier today.

After we watched all the races, we all were starving, so we found a little Mexican restaurant and we ate fish tacos. They were tasty, although I would prefer them if the fish had not been deep-fried. Shortly after we returned to the beach house, we were joined by Corey and 3 of his teammates who wanted to go boogie-boarding and play beach volleyball. Well, this is the place for doing those things! Of course, it was 60 degress with a water temperature of 57 and a slight breeze, but that did not deter those young and young at heart(Jim joined in the water fun, too). Jim took one boogie-board run, and it was a good one, and called it quits. Corey, Tucker, and Mike continued to catch the waves for 20 minutes, until a life-guard came to me and asked the
 boys to move down in front of the life guard tower, because there was an occassional riptide in
 these waters and guards wanted to be able to have clearer view of all swimmers. I called the boys in, gave them that info, but they were shivering at that point and ready to quit.
After a quick warm-up in the house, we went out to play volleyball. One of the many courts had just opened, so I joined the 5 guys in a game or two. We had a lot of fun and laughs.
Jim took them back to their hotel and then we went out to dinner at a Mexican Restaurant in the Old Town area. This restaurant was the only place in the area that didn't have a 45-60 minute wait and the meal ended up being OK. We were so hungry and tired that we probably would have eaten most anything.

Yesterday morning I went for a long walk on the boardwalk in front of our house. I must have walked 2 miles to the north, enjoying hearing the ocean waves and checking out all the beach front homes. I power walked and did the 4 mile round trip in about an hour. What a great way to start the day!

Today looks like another beautiful day. The weather is supposed to be nice for the next couple of days and then the potential for rain comes in for Tuesday and Wednesday. Today we may rent bikes and take a tour of the area. We also have a couple of places we want to hike. 

Hope all is well. 

No comments: