Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday, the 22nd

Grandpa update: There are good days and less than good days. Grandpa seems to have come through his angiogram with no adverse side effects, which is good news. The bad news is that he has one artery with 100% blockage and 2 with 90 % blockage. The doctors at Unity hospital do not believe he is a candidate for bypass surgery, but the angiogram results are being sent to Grandpa's heart doctor at RGH. Yesterday Grandpa spent most of the day sitting up in a chair and the hospital staff was talking about him moving to the Transitional Care center adjoining the hospital. This would be a 2 week placement to regain his strength. However, today has not been a good day. He has spent most of the day sleeping. When I was there, he was in sitting in a chair and a physical therapist was trying to work with him, but he was not a happy camper. I didn't stay. Dad and I will go back tonight after dinner.

I had my follow-up visit to my orthopedic doctor to get the results of the MRI on my knee. Since I first hurt my knee a few weeks ago, it has gotten much better. Then I did a slight turn on my right leg and my knee "caught" again and was quite painful. After a few days that went away and it has felt OK since. The MRI showed a small tear in the meniscus. I told the doctor I really didn't want to do anything to repair the tear as long as my knee was feeling good. He did say that both arthritis and cartilage deterioration in my knees are probably contributing to the general stiffness and occasional pain in my knee(s). The doctor told me that when my knees get more uncomfortable there are things, like injections, that can be done. So I will keep doing what I've been doing, and resume doing some of the things that I stopped doing when I initially hurt my knee.

Tuesday night Dad and I went to GEVA to see a play called The Clean House. It got a so-so review in the newspaper, but we enjoyed it, not as much as the show we saw in September, but it was a nice evening of theater.

We've talked to both Tucker and Corey in the past day or so. Both are busy with their lives and doing well.

Hope all is well.

No comments: