Saturday, October 4, 2008

Let the Fun Begin-Memphis

After my quick  blog entry yesterday from the Rochester airport (remember, my thumbs were cramping up) we had 2 easy flights to get to Memphis. In the Rochester airport we met up with Todd and Wendy J. Todd is another of Jim's cousins, this time from his Dad's side of the family. They were headed for the wedding and were on the same flights as we were. 

The sun was shining when we landed in Memphis and the temps were very pleasant. We picked up our rental car and were at our Downtown hotel in no time where Tucker and Mark were there to greet us! It is great to see them both.

Jim, Tucker and I took a walk down to the Mississippi River and did a quick tour of this area. Tucker arrived here yesterday and did quite an extensive walk of the area in the morning so he served as our tour guide.

I went with Mark to the airport to pick-up Terry and Kenn and then we went straight to the wedding rehearsal at the brand new home (mansion) of the parent's of the bride (Elizabeth). The house was just recently completed, including the laying of sod on the grounds. It is a wonderful site for an outdoor wedding. Here I got to see Jeannie and Britni as well as meet Elizabeth's family. The wedding party practiced their roles for the big day while Terry and I walked the grounds and did a quick tour of the house. 

The rehearsal dinner was back in the downtown area at a famous Beale Street BBQ and blues restaurant called Rum Boogie Cafe. Jeannie and Mark reserved the private rooms upstairs in the restaurant which allowed the festivities to be separate from the general public but also allowed us to hear and see the the live entertainment on the main floor. It was a perfect spot. We had a nice happy hour were we got to re-connect with family and friends we haven't see in a while. Then we enjoyed a great BBQ meal and finished the evening with toasts and good wishes for Michal and Elizabeth. 

By this time Grandma and Grandpa were pretty tired so to cap off their evening we put them in horse-drawn Cinderella carriage (complete with lights) and sent them back to the hotel. Some of us continued the party until midnight and then others didn't come in until 3 AM! Yes, a good time was had by all. 

Today has dawned clear and sunny and we are looking forward to more fun times. 

On another happy, good news note, Corey had a great race yesterday. He and his team were in Lehigh PA and he ran the way he knew he could run. So we are happy for him. We are sorry he is not here with us, but are certainly glad he did so well in PA. We have called him a couple of time to tell him how much fun we are having and that we miss him, but we may have to stop calling because I think it makes him feel bad!

Hope all is well.

No comments: