Saturday, September 20, 2008

Finger Lakes Fiber Festival

What  a great day! I drove south to the town of Hemlock, NY for the Finger Lakes Fiber Festival and spent the day there. The sunshine and mild temperatures added to my enjoyment of the day.

I was there when the gates opened and spent an hour and a half walking around the fairgrounds, admiring all the yarn and fiber. I stopped to say "hi" to the alpacas (they are cute!).


The colors of roving were eye-opening!

And the yarn choices were many.
There were vendors indoor and outside, thank goodness the weather cooperated.
And there were sheep. The woman who owns these sheep is sitting by the pen, spinning the fiber from those sheep.
I didn't buy too much, just a small amount of roving from some Blue Faced Leicester sheep. That is a breed that I have wanted to try to spin. The fiber is supposed to be longer than some sheep and it has a nice feel to it.

After my shopping time, I had to go to work. This festival is put on by my spinning guild so I volunteered for two work shifts. I spent 2 hours at the Information Table and was able to get some knitting done while I sat there. From there I went for a 2 hour shift at the Entrance Gate, where I sold tickets to get into the festival.  I enjoyed my time in both places. Today was a big success at the festival with over 2,000 people coming in. Hopefully, the weather will hold and tomorrow will be another high attendance day. I will not go back tomorrow as Jim is running in a race at Mendon Ponds Park and I will be there to cheer him on!

Jim made dinner tonight (spaghetti, salad, green beans) since I was away until 5 PM. That was a real treat!

On my way home, I stopped for gas at the B.J.'s in Henrietta because the price per gallon is 13 cents cheaper than the B.J.'s near our house!

Corey has been checking out housing options for next year at SU (who, by the way, finally won a football game today!). Corey and one of his current apartment-mates, Mike, are looking to get a 2-person apartment together and have looked at 2 different houses. In both places the apartment on the third floor is available. I think they are leaning towards the place they visited today. Here they are, one month into this school year, and already they  need to be looking for a place for next year!

Time to knit.

Hope all is well. 

No comments: