Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fun with Produce!

Monday afternoon I picked up our second delivery of our CSA produce. Here is a photo of what we got this week.
From the top left, we have field greens, kale, rhubarb, garlic scapes, a head of lettuce, strawberries and asparagus.

We have eaten more asparagus in the past 2 weeks than in any other time in our lives! Corey helped us discover that when we grill the asparagus it tasted a bit like whatever we last cooked on the grill (burgers, steak, etc.)! Corey and Jim also discovered that asparagus can be very useful when trying to keep the baked beans from getting all over the rest of the food on the plate!

I had to do some research to see how I could use the kale and I came across a Four Cheese and Kale pizza recipe. This looked and sounded good so that is what I made for dinner tonight. I chopped up the last 3 spears of asparagus and a few of the garlic scapes and sauteed them with the kale. This went on top of the pizza crust along with a 6-cheese Italian mix from Sargento. It was delicious and a keeper of a recipe!

This weekend I will buy/pick some more local strawberries and make a Rhubarb and Strawberry Crisp. This CSA produce share has been a wonderful gift from Tucker and Corey.

While Corey was home he pulled out the horseshoes and played a bunch of games with his friends and Jim. This first photo documents that accuracy is important and the second one shows Corey in action.


Tomorrow is Field Day at school and I think we are ready. The weather is supposed to be good and we have a good number of volunteers scheduled to come in to help. This has been a crazy week at school preparing for Field Day, going in early and staying late.

Tomorrow (June 11) is my Mom's birthday.Happy Birthday, Mom! I am so glad that most of the year we live close so that we can be an active part of each other's life. Have a good day.

Hope all is well.

No comments: