Sunday, June 21, 2009


After a great weekend we arrived home around 7 PM. The Canadian expressways heading away from Toronto were typically busy, but once we split off to go to the Queenston Bridge, the traffic disappeared. We got through customs in 4 minutes!

In yesterday's post I forgot to mention one fun thing we got involved in on Saturday. We decided to walk the 1.67 miles from the hotel to the yarn store since it was along interesting streets and we were looking for a place to have lunch. As we were walking we kept noticing these pairs of people hustling in different directions and they all had t-shirts on that said City Search. I remembered reading about this activity in one of the promotional booklets that we received. Groups of 2 were given a list of things they had to see, do or find all around the city and the first group to complete their challenge was the winner. Well, as we were walking up Queen Street, people from 2 different groups asked us if we would do 3 yoga poses with them! We looked at each other and said, "Why not?" So here is a photo of Jim in a partner pose. Please note that it was raining at the time and the yoga mats were soaked! Our efforts were greatly appreciated and after about 5-10 minutes we were back on our way.

Today dawned sunny and bright, as promised and after a quick change of plans, Jim left at 6:30 AM for his track meet at a college north of Toronto. I got ready for a morning of biking and pedaled away from the hotel at 7:20. It was a beautiful morning for a bike ride and I took advantage of the weather and the abundant bike trails. I ended up putting 34 miles on my bike and truly enjoyed the riding and the scenery. Here are 2 photos from my ride.

I returned to the hotel around 10:15 and got cleaned up, packed up and checked out by noon so Jim could pick me up shortly after. He then texted me to say that the meet was running behind schedule and he would be about 45 minutes later than planned. So I sat in the lobby and read my book and people-watched.

After the pick-up we returned to the track for Jim's last race. He had already won his age-group in the Steeple Chase and the 800 meter race. Next up was the 1500 meter race and he easily won that too! Check out these photos. There were more than 2 people in the race, Jim and the guy in second were just quite a ways in front of the rest of the pack!

Jim picked up his medals (3 golds, which now that I think about it, we did not declare at customs!!) and we were on our way home. 

We stopped for supper at Abe's on the Ridge, just west of Greece. When we were ordering our cheeseburgers, Jim noticed that Abe was giving away free ice cream cones to fathers, with any food purchase. So after a good meal, Jim got his free chocolate ice cream cone and I drove him home!

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there!

Hope all is well. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

A much deserved ice cream cone! Congrats on a successful meet!